Jason R. Sowards
Assistant Director for Public Services and Lecturer in Law
Jason Sowards oversees all public services operations in the Alyne Queener Massey Law Library at Vanderbilt, including circulation, interlibrary loan, document delivery and stacks maintenance. He also coordinates the research component of the first-year legal research program and teaches courses in specialized legal research. In addition to teaching and public services responsibilities, Sowards evaluates and promotes the law library‘s electronic resources and manages the library‘s online presence. Sowards is an active member of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL), currently serving as the Chair of the Council of Special Interest Section Chairs, outgoing chair of the Research Instruction & Patron Services Special Interest Section, and chair of the Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section Statistics committee. He has also spoken at the AALL and Southeastern Association of Law Libraries (SEAALL) annual meetings. Prior to coming to Vanderbilt in 2011, Sowards was a research librarian and adjunct professor of law at Wake Forest University School of Law in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- Jason R. Sowards, "Measuring Student and Instructor Performance," at the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) 2013 annual meeting, Seattle, Washington, on July 16, 2013. Co-presenter with Kate Irwin-Smiler (Wake Forest University).
- Jason R. Sowards, "Bespoke Librarian: How to Craft Made-to-Order Faculty Services," at the South Eastern Chapter of the American Association of Law Libraries (SEAALL) Annual Meeting, Decatur, Georgia, on April 19, 2013. Co-presenter with Pam Brannon (Georgia State University), Maureen Eggert (Wake Forest University), and Caroline Osborne (Washington & Lee University)
- Jason R. Sowards, "Effective Research in a Rapidly-Changing World of Resources," as part of Legal Writing Never Gets Erased: Best Practices for Complaints, Answers, Motions, Responses, and Appellate Briefs. Tennessee Bar Center, March 22, 2013.
- "The Kentucky Family Court System & Domestic Relations Commissioners," KENTUCKY DOMESTIC RELATIONS PRACTICE, University of Kentucky Office of Continuing Legal Education (1st ed. 2006, 2d ed. 2012).
- Sowards, Jason R., "Specialized Legal Research Courses: Administrative Law," 29 Legal Reference Services Quarterly 101 (2010).
- Guide to North Carolina Legal and Law-Related Materials, 2010 Revised Edition (with Nichelle Perry and Donna Nixon), American Association of Law Libraries, Government Documents Special Interest Section, State Documents Bibliography Series.
- Jason R. Sowards & Barbara Lentz, "Incorporating Real World Research into Legal Writing Courses," at the Legal Writing Institute Workshop held at Wake Forest Law School on December 3, 2010.
- Sowards, Jason R. & Sally A. Irvin, "ALR 2.0: When Advanced Legal Research Met Wiki," AALL Spectrum, Vol. 12, No. 8, pp. 8-9, 19 (June 2008).