The Top 10 Corporate and Securities Articles of
The Corporate Practice Commentator is pleased to announce the results
of its annual poll of the 10 best corporate and securities articles.
(Because of ties there are 11 on this year’s list.) Teachers in corporate
and securities law were asked to select the best corporate and securities
articles from a list of articles published during 2002. Because of
the vagaries of publication, indexing and mailing some articles published
in 2002 have a 2001 date and not all articles containing a 2002 date were
published in time to be included in this year’s list.
The articles, listed in alphabetical order of the initial author, are:
- Allen, William T., Jack B. Jacobs and Leo E. Strine, Jr.
Function over Form: A Reassessment of Standards of Review in Delaware
Corporation Law. 26 Del. J. Corp. L. 859-895 (2001) and 56 Bus. Law.
- Ayres, Ian and Joe Bankman. Substitutes for
Insider Trading. 54 Stan. L. Rev. 235-254 (2001).
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye, Jesse M. Fried and David I. Walker.
Managerial Power and Rent Extraction in the Design of Executive Compensation.
69 U. Chi. L. Rev. 751-846 (2002).
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye, John C. Coates IV and Guhan Subramanian.
The Powerful Antitakeover Force of Staggered Boards: Theory, Evidence,
and Policy. 54 Stan. L. Rev. 887-951 (2002).
- Black, Bernard and Reinier Kraakman. Delaware’s Takeover
Law: The Uncertain Search for Hidden Value. 96 Nw. U. L. Rev.
- Bratton, William M. Enron and the Dark Side of Shareholder
Value. 76 Tul. L. Rev. 1275-1361 (2002).
- Coates, John C. IV. Explaining Variation in Takeover
Defenses: Blame the Lawyers. 89 Cal. L. Rev. 1301-1421 (2001).
- Kahan, Marcel and Edward B. Rock. How I Learned to Stop
Worrying and Love the Pill: Adaptive Responses to Takeover Law.
69 U. Chi. L. Rev. 871-915 (2002).
- Kahan, Marcel. Rethinking Corporate Bonds: The
Trade-off Between Individual and Collective Rights. 77 N.Y.U. L. Rev.
- Roe, Mark J. Corporate Law’s Limits. 31 J. Legal
Stud. 233-271 (2002).
The "Best Articles" were chosen from more than 350 corporate and securities
articles published during the year. Thirty-six law professors participated
in this year’s selection.
- Thompson, Robert B. and D. Gordon Smith. Toward a New
Theory of the Shareholder Role: "Sacred Space" in Corporate Takeovers.
80 Tex. L. Rev. 261-326 (2001).
Best Articles 2001
Best Articles 2000
Best Articles 1999
Best Articles 1998
Best Articles 1997
Last updated: 5/25/2003