Services for Students
Most students obtain summer and permanent jobs with the help of our On-Campus Interview (OCI) program, through which you can sign up to interview for positions at literally hundreds of law offices throughout the United States and abroad.
First year students obtain jobs through a large externship program, through Spring OCI, through job notices or by working with their counselors. First year students have chosen varied and enriching jobs in their home towns and across the country.
An active Public Service Program provides students with legal experience in jobs both in the United States and abroad. Students may choose to receive credit or to apply for a Public Interest Stipend from the Legal Aid Society.
Each student is assigned a Career Counselor, who works with you to identify your career goals and interests and help you locate positions that will enable you to achieve your goals.
In addition to on-campus interviews, our student services include:
- Over 800 job notices from employers who cannot come to campus but who are interested in receiving resumes from Vanderbilt law students
- Notification of job fairs around the country and assistance in registering
- A Recruitment Handbook for approved employers, featuring pictures and bios of second and third year students
- Resume classes and reviews
- Interview preparation, interview practice and a mock interview program
- Business Etiquette Dinner, which prepares you to handle yourself in the social aspects of your interviews
Vanderbilt has placed students in all but one of the U.S. Courts of Appeals and in the Supreme Court.
Vanderbilt students may pursue externships for course credit during the academic year and during each summer, and stipends are also available to support students working in unpaid externships.