17 students will serve in international externships & placements during Summer 2007
May 2, 2007
Seventeen Vanderbilt law students will serve in externships and placements relating to international law during the summer of 2007, announced Larry Helfer, who directs Vanderbilt’s International Legal Studies Program.
"Our students have accepted positions with 16 different international organizations, consulates, government agencies, and NGOs, and they will be working in 10 foreign countries and in the United States," said Professor Helfer. "This is an impressive list and it’s due in large part to the superb efforts of Professor Mike Newton, who developed a broad range of international externship and placement opportunities for an increasing number of interested students."
Dean Edward L. Rubin provided financial support to help defray the costs of overseas travel for some students. "These placements afford students an unmatched learning opportunity," he said. "We want to ensure that students who are offered these opportunities can take advantage of them."
The list of summer 2007 externships and placements includes the following:
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London, England
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, Office of General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
- International Association of Genocide Scholars annual conference in Krakow, Poland, and Sarajevo, Bosnia, followed by pro bono human rights work with the law firm of Redeker Sellner Dahs & Widmaier, Brussels, Belgium
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, New York, NY
- International Institute of International Humanitarian Law, San Remo, Italy
- International and Operational Law Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, United States Army, Washington, D.C.
- Irish Centre for Human Rights, Galway, Ireland
- The Legal Aid Clinic of Kampala, Uganda
- Legal Assistance Center, Windhoek, Namibia
- Special Court for Sierra Leone, Office of the Prosecutor, Freetown, Sierra Leone
- World Intellectual Property Organization, Legislative and Legal Advice Division & Enforcement and Special Projects Division, Geneva, Switzerland
- World Intellectual Property Organization, Copyright Law Division & Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises Division, Geneva, Switzerland
- United States Embassy, Rome, Italy
- United States Mission to the United Nations, Geneva, Switzerland